By Glam & Essence
“Jesus said unto him “if thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth” Mark 9:23
After coming into the saving knowledge of our Lord – Jesus Christ, I believe there are somethungs that one must quickly gain a mastery of in the Christian walk.
They are: knowing “How to hear God’s voice” and “Learning to live by Faith”. The focus of this write up is the latter addressing particularly the Why?
In pursuing this, I want to give some reasons why we should pursue having a grasp of this subject.
- God operates by faith – Hebrews 11:6
- God demonstrates that you must deal with Him by faith – Hebrews 11: 6
- You cannot please God without faith – Hebrews 11:6
- We are saved through faith – Ephesians 2:8. It is important that you understand that the word “saved” here is the Greek word “suzoe” which encompasses more than being saved from sin. It is a word that also means deliverance, to be healed etc. So, what the passage in Ephesians is saying that you receive blessings from God through the medium of faith.
- We live by faith – the just shall live by faith ( Romans 1:17; gal. 3:11; Heb. 10:38 and Hab. 2:4). If the just is to live by his faith as one of the scriptures reffered said, then the just who is not living by faith is not living but struggling and surviving.
Let us explore a little bit what living means to the beliveer and see whether faith plays a part or not.
- Prayer – one of the most improtant things a believer does is pray
“And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believeing, ye shall receive.”
“Therefore I say unto you, what things sover ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them and ye shaal have them.”
The import of this is that when people pray and do not exercise faith, they can’t receive from God.
- Living the overcoming life – 1 John 5:4
“For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.”
- Resisting the devil – One of the things we do in our Christian walk is to engage the enemy. The scripture say,”Resist the devil, and he will flee.” But how is he resisted?
“whom resist stedfast in faith….” (1 Peter 5:9).
Again in the book of Ephesians 6:16 : “above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall quench all the fiery darts of the wicked”.
What do we use to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked? It is faith, used as a shield. Did you notice that you can quench all the fiery darts of the wicked thrown at you such that none will cause you damage? Yes you can, with the shield of faith.
- Jesus would be looking to find faith in the hearts of men. “…Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall He find faith on earth?” Luke 18:8.
- The scriptures say “we walk by faith…” 2 Cor.5:7. It also says “we stand by faith” (2 Cor.1:24).
- You can only understand or receive the revelation of the righteousness that is of God on the platform of faith. When people have a problem in understanding the revelation of the righteousness of God, the root of it is a lack of faith. “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith…” Romans 1:17
- It is through faith we can access grace. Romans 5:2.
- Under the dispensation of grace, faith is the only guarantor of the inheritance. Romans 4:16
- We receive the spirit through faith. Galatians 3:14
- The word of God is called the Word of faith. Romans 10:8
- We are only called to a faith fight. 1 Tim. 6:12
We are justified by faith – Romans 5:1.
To reach Pastor Ekine, you can contact him via
P.O. Box 21187, U.I. Ibadan.